Thursday, July 15, 2021

Piracy

 Sitrep:

  I've been struggling with my income for some time, it's dropped a lot. I thought it was due to a lack of advertising and other factors. I thought that by trying something new with the videos I'd get some attention for my books. It didn't do much. 

  I knew piracy was still an issue (I get reports every week on it) but it's gotten out of hand again. Paul pointed it out to me. I've had issues with them before, but it depressed me to see them still at it. It sent me into a funk and I had issues finishing Shelby 4 for a few days.

  One website in particular has stopped accepting take down requests from the law firm representing me and is blatantly giving away my books. All of them. They have multiple domains all over the world and no longer care if they are stealing a person's work. 

  That is a serious problem for me and others like me. Unlike some authors I don't write as a side business or hobby, this is my career. This is my only form of income. I don't have a publisher, I do it with the help of a couple of Betas, Rea my editor, and Goodlifeguide for formatting.


  Searching for a Needle just came out last month as you know. I looked at the stats. I sold 47 the first day, and then the stats dropped to 10 a day. The day it was pirated the sales dropped to 2-3 a day. 

  Usually I sell 300 copies of a new book a day, and that lasts for a couple of weeks. If it is a good book, a month. That money I get in 60 days and use to pay for editing and models and stuff, plus my usual taxes and bills. Usually I also sell 1 copy of each of my other books (minimum) per day. Those have been at or near zero for a while. Even books that came out this year are at zero sales.

  So, I did the math and noted that I'm effectively working for less than minimum wage at this point. I write 8-12 hours a day, 7 days a week until a book is done. I then spend 2-3 days on the cover art, then get caught up on various editing issues and other things. I then take a week off (yeah right! I'm always doing something!) and then dive into the next project.

  In the past 4-5 years I've seen my income drop by 2/3rds and my savings drop by 1/3rd in the past 3 years. That trend is accelerating so this is no longer a sustainable career long term.


So, what does that mean for the future? I'm not sure. 

Not anymore.

  I just finished Shelby 4 Parabellum, Shelby 5 Juggernaut has been blocked out, and 4 other books were added to the schedule. There are 21 books there. Honestly, I love to write! I do. I've been poking at stories in Multiverse 5 over the past 2 days, and floating story ideas for the next PRI and Bootstrap books. I've got all sorts of things to explore!

...

But, if the income isn't there, I need to think of something else, preferably before my savings run out.

  I am pretty frustrated. My family has suggested I explore other career options. Some have said I should stop cold turkey, they see me writing all the time, practically chained to my desk. (I admit, I don't have much of a life) 

  A half measure is that I start exploring other things as a part time business and ease into it. That is sorely tempting. I am a maker, I like making stuff. I have done some research before, it's... tricky.


So, that is what is going on for that front.

  If you want to help, please don't support the pirates! Do something about them! Report them, get others to do the same. This sucks!

  In other (better) news, Jethro 7 has been sent to Rea yesterday. The video is more or less done, I'm just waiting on my niece to provide her voice acting skills. I'm hoping we can release it a day or 2 before the book is published. I'll post here when we're close with the usual snippets.

  Shelby 4 as I mentioned is roughed out and in the hands of the Betas. The cover is done, I'm puttering around with adding various snippets and making corrections. 

  So, yeah, that's me. Fun.

24 comments:

  1. I know of a few authors that have moved to Patreon just because of this issue. Your fans could show their support to keep the books coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i totally agree with this, i think is the best solution in addition to publishing, off course.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear this. My suggestion is to go through Goodreads and update your books. I (and many others) find books there and use it to go through series. I didn't realize you had published many newer books until I found https://www.fantasticfiction.com/h/chris-hechtl/ because on goodreads The Federation Reborn series only has 4 books in it for example. https://www.goodreads.com/series/152963-the-federation-reborn The other place I find out about books is https://www.reddit.com/r/printSF/ where there are frequent book recommendation request threads that your series would fit in to, but aren't mentioned. Patreon is another option I see many indie authors doing these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you able to name and shame? maybe someone in those countries can ping whatever consumer protection or IP agency exists

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Z library is the worst by far. They use a lot of different domains in many countries. There is a class action lawsuit building against them. I'm looking into it but the damage is done and continues to be done.

      Delete
  4. Chris, I have read this a few days ago and have waited to reply. I see this as difficult. While I have got books through different avenues that content creators or there publishing representatives have not agreed with it has only been incase where I have purchased the content in one media and wanted to switch say Hardback to ebook. Other times have been when prices are just not reasonable ie charging 10.99 for a book 30 years old (Tom Clancy).

    I have never done this to your content, at the prices you charge and the way you deliver content I just can't understand this. I will however say that while it is good to continue to pursue legal options open to you I would like at alternatives like Kindle unlimited offerings and Patreon which I will support you with a 10-20 dollar donation a month.

    I really hope you can figure out a way around this and can continue your writing personally I think it is worth the little money I spend on the enjoyment you give me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You popped up in a group on facebook, maybe it will help :) https://www.facebook.com/groups/LitRPG.books

    ReplyDelete
  6. Write one book. Then cut it in 2 parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done that several times. I had to do that with the First Interstallar War. I recently had to do that with Shelby 4.

      Delete
    2. But are you cutting the price to $2.49. Higher price books make you a more visible target for pirates

      Delete
    3. Amazon and B&N set the minimum price for royalties at $2.99. If you go below that they only give you 30%. They also charge 10c per meg per download.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know it may not be your preference, but I agree with John Wiley's comment regarding patreon. Some authors release chapter by chapter the book(s) they are expecting to release until much of the book has been released in this format. Others release chapters in such a way that when the book is finally released only approximately 33% or so has been released in this style allowing us (the fans) to buy and read the rest of the book at release.

    It may not be the ideal solution, but if you get a core group of fans paying monthly for chapters hopefully your current situation will be less dire. Also if you go this route, including your patreon website link on amazon's author description might be advisable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except I'm banned from Patreon, so you would then force me the stop reading or revert to downloading the book for free.

      Delete
    2. Could also use SubscribeStar simultaneously and release chapters on both platforms.

      Delete
  9. I have just discovered your series "The Wandering Engineer". I read about you from another books comments. I am currently in book 4 and found out I had to switch to Jethro's. Is there a list to reading all of these in Chronological order? For me this is like a TV series where I would like to find out what is also happenning in the background while the Admiral Iron is wandering the systems. Like the Kurtherian Gambit Universe you have a diverse and rich universe that I am investing my time and money. ;) Maybe you could invite others to play in the universe too? Your stories are amazing. There are so many characters introduced that you literally have dozens of posible series branches. Seriously check out Michael Anderle and see how he has branched out as an indie author. Your stories have more depth than his and are freaking great. I believe you can have more followers. 2.99 in amazon is a great price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a bibliography in some of the later books as well as a recommended reading order.

      Delete
  10. Patreon is the best, i would gladly pay 25$-30$ per month to support you and to have a a chance to read the chapters as you write them, before everyone else 😉 and maybe to receive them for free once they are out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You should consider this one also, cheaper than Patreon you keep more of the donations.
    https://ko-fi.com/

    Also this is a sample of a writers page
    https://www.patreon.com/kameronhurley
    https://www.kameronhurley.com/
    not my coup of coffee but, has maybe 1 or 2 good books, just for a general idea

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have you thought about hooking up with one of the independent publishing companies like Chris Kennedy (as one example)? You've got a huge back catalog, and a plan for 20 plus more books. Open up this great world you've built that has a massive amount of stories to be told in it. Use their advertising and dedicated reader list who I would bet overlaps yours significantly. Let them fight the assholes so you can have time to continue what you love doing so much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mr. Hechtl, I bought new dawn in 2013 and have been a fan o yours ever since. I agree that you should be compensated for your work. I would be willing to pay more if it meant you could keep writing. Perhaps look at one of the mainstream publising house. I hate to think that because of the assholes of the world i will no longer be able to enjoy your books. Your writing brings a different universe alive in a way that other others fail to do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have you considered (re)publishing your book to one of the smaller independent ebook publishers? e.g.

    https://lmbpn.com/

    ? This started out as a 1 man show, but over time has grown to a company publishing for a whole bunch of self-publishing writers AFAICT they are pretty good at marketing. If you re-publish e.g. the wandering engineer series through them I would hope that that will result in a significant amount of sales. It surely cannot hurt to contact them?

    ReplyDelete

NO SPAM! Spam will not be tolerated!

Bootstrap 5 is Publishing NOW!

 Okay, so, Bootstrap 5 has gone live. About:   Mitch Chambers and his family have been busy dealing with the alien Memes and their growing...