Saturday, February 1, 2014

Afraid of the Dark

EDIT: 2/12/14: The book is OUT!
 

Nook should follow in a bit.
  EDIT: For Soren and others who were wondering:
     When a rogue comet exploded mankind was awed by the fireworks in space. But the awe turned to fear and terror as the comet's contents rained down across the globe. Billions of pods scattered across the planet, shattering civilization overnight.
     Earth was changed overnight as the planet was twisted and terraformed in a terrifying way. Shane and his family were determined to stay alive, to keep as many people alive as possible. They were willing to fight, to learn, and to adapt. But an alien species always has the upper hand against a native one who has no means of defense. Normally, that would be true, but they are determined to prove that wrong.
    They'll fight, and cling to what civilization they can as they try to rebuild. But they have a lot to deal with. And good reason to be...
Afraid of the Dark.
 
Oh, and I sent the cover of J3 out to the insiders to critique. :D

Just a quick update,
1 If you didn't see my comment in the previous post's comments, I've finished the first draft of J3. I'm going to be poking at it for the next week hemming and hawing before I finally relent and pass it on to the betas. :D
2 But, I've already started gathering the materials for the cover art. That keeps evolving though which is a pain.
3: For those of you into the superbowl, good luck. I bought stuff for the party at my sister's tomorrow, but I'm staying home to vegg. :D
4: Underworld Awakenings was... different. Let's put it that way. Not as good as the other movies though.
5: I just got my Disney Gargoyles DVD collection... only to find it wasn't what it was supposed to be. I got Final Fantasy VII the movie. I'm just a wee bit put out over that. GRRRR.
But, I did get Terranova and a few others.
6: Everette seems to be making some interesting progress with NUTZ. Small steps, but it's cool. Now that J3 is roughed out I can help him out a bit more with my end.

And finally:
7: Poon just sent me back AD, with only a couple minor corrections. I'm going to implement them over the weekend and then begin the tedious process of converting the manuscript and uploading it. It's a biggy though, 600 real pages. (Yes, I got repetitive in it, but there is a reason for that)
So, look for this cover sometime this week or next! IF NOT SOONER!

FINALLY! Two, no THREE years in the making. lol

No, no game with it darn it though darn it... I wanted the game bad, but the game engine tech isn't up to it at this date. Maybe in the future. Who knows what Unity 5 or Unreal 4-5 will bring?

I'll update the post with an edit later. You can look through my blog to find posts (with videos) of some of the concepts of the aliens in the book.

Edit: Well, I went a different route on the conversion since there has been so many issues. I'm trying http://www.goodlifeguide.com/
So, hopefully any issues will be nipped in the bud. But, they won't get the final product back to me until around Valentine's day the 14th. Bummer. So, look for the book then!

And if they work out I'll go through my catalog and have them redo all my books 1 by 1. :)

31 comments:

  1. AD.... i've read it and its not bad, just not what i normally get into. so i'm not saying its bad just,, different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because it's a different type of sci-fi than I normally write. And you happen to be a techy. :) It's not techy enough for you.... yet. Maybe a sequel or the game will change your mind...

      Delete
    2. Looking forward to what is coming Chris. Just remember to look into what might be causing the issue I have had with the last two ebooks and someone else reported. About halfway through the books the Nook app on Android became practically non-responsive. I am willing to test things if you have any ideas if it is a formatting issue.

      Delete
  2. Yes This would be very important to me. I had to finish reading the book on the computer screen. I would love it if I can use my nook app.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, that is why I went with a pro this time as mentioned in the edit above. Goodlifeguide.com. They will send me the final manuscript in each of the formats for distribution so all I need to do is upload them.
      That should resolve the problem. If it does I'll go back and have them convert the other manuscripts 1 by 1.
      In other news: I'm working on the cover to J3. Gord and Darion have started the editing process of the book. :)

      Delete
    2. I may have miss this but will you also be having GoodlifeGuide doing hard copies of your books too. Because I have been wondering why you have not had a larger publishing base done for the Wandering Engineer series. I think most of your books could do very well in the big books stores and you could change that to all of them will a little editing on the early ones when you started publishing. Now I am not saying you should do this because it would drive up what I would have to pay for my copies of your books as well as making your release times longer, But i also want the authors I like get paid what they are deserved.

      Delete
  3. I may have missed it some where in the blog, but when you post these projects as almost complete can you do a Blog post showing there Blurb, summary or synopsis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to remember. There should be something about AD on the blog. A couple things actually.

      Delete
  4. AD is out. And how did I celebrate? I went to the dentist and had 6 cavities fixed and a tooth pulled.
    What can I say, life goes on...

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I was a dog you would fear me because I would hump your leg. You are fracking awesome. I always look forward to reading your work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just started AD now... And after your news regarding your dentist visit I am looking forward to see that in next Jethro :) Or?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, last time I made Sergei suffer. I thought of someone else. I also thought of a few things for the short story too. Now I just need to find the peace and quiet to write it.
      Still puttering around with J3's cover too btw.

      Delete
    2. I can see signs of jethro/irons withdrawal on the federation FB group. We are speculating on what you will put our intrepid hero Jethro through in J3.

      Delete
    3. LOL
      Ask Jory or Poon or one of the insiders for images I've sent them of the various characters. Those are prelims. I did that over the weekend after I bought:
      http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/cat-world-regenesis-hd-bundle
      I'll do more later.
      J3 is out of my hands for now, Gord and Darion have it. Both are a bit busy though, so I don't have a timetable on when they'll get it back to me. I'm currently shooting for a...um, April launch. Early if possible.

      I was up to my neck in doctors and writing Multiverse 1. (1/3 done) Now I found myself dealing with another issue, my e-mail got hacked while I was out today. GRRR

      Delete
    4. Good info on J3. Sorry to hear about your email :-( . Hope it wasn't too bad of a hack!

      Delete
    5. They got my address book and spammed people. sigh

      Delete
  7. Ugh! I hate that when that happens. I wish there was some auto-counter hack that could be done. Oooh the revenge possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Chris. Good news about your Afraid of the Dark book and new format uploads. This is from Matt Maleki who has a Nook: "Matt Malecki
    Well just finished afraid of the dark on my cell with the B&N nook app. No problems that plague the last two books. Example freezing, slow loading or crashing." So whatever your guys did, it worked :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. COOL!
      I encourage everyone to write a review. It helps, believe me. Even the 3 stars. :P
      I shopped around and went to www.goodlifeguide.com
      They went nuclear on the formatting, and got it back to me after 2 weeks. I just sent them PB so a new edition will be uploaded in a couple of weeks. After that I'll work slowly backwards through my catalog.
      Right now though, I'm waist deep in Multiverse 1. In fact, I'm adapting an older short I did for a parallel story to my first book.... I'll tie it into the sequel I plotted it out later. :D

      Delete
  9. From the Federation FB: Matt Malecki :Yes its good its working I take my cell with me snowmobiling, work, and other places (campineg, ect.) With j2 and pirates bane could only read a third of each book before there were problems. That was very frustrating as there were no problems with the books before them so it is nice to be a mobile reader and not tied to the desk top

    ReplyDelete
  10. Any news on J3 ? Eagerly waiting here...
    Not to mention for next Wandering Engineer, Foundation, Princess Rescue etc :)
    Although, in the mean time I did find a new author (Rolf Nelson - The Stars came Back) which was not bad. Thanks Jessie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard boo from Darion or Gord in a week so I don't know what their progress is. If this keeps up another week I'll send J3 on to some of the other guys who are impatiently waiting for it.
      I just finished the rough draft of a short story tie in to Bootstrap Colony for Multiverse 1. I moved the AD and PRI story to Multiverse 2 since 1 is already past 217 pages and I've still got six or seven other stories to go over. 1 will have a lot of old Metalwar stories, but also 3 Federation stories in it...

      Delete
    2. Funny thing. The FB group is talking about putting themselves into self induced commas for 2 weeks at a time till the J3 book comes out lol!

      Delete
    3. Horrible idea! What is motivation for Cyber to finish the book if every time he goes to write if he says "Well they are all asleep won't matter if it takes a little longer, and I do need to reach the next level in my mmorpg."

      Nyet, keep the pressure on.

      Delete
    4. ROFL
      Yeah, I snuck in and saw those posts.
      The book is done! Well, the rough draft anyway, been done since Feb 1st. It's out of my hands right now. I thought I was done with the cover art too, but a few insiders pointed a few things out that they didn't like, and suggested I redo the HUD so I tabled it for now.

      So, no commentary on the sneak Peek in AD??

      I told Jory to go ahead and post the images of the cats I did. I wonder if he's waiting for me to finish the others, or improve them. He's been rather quiet lately... If he doesn't post one or two of them soon I'll put them up here and then see what people say. The good, the bad, and the ugly. :)

      I'm still waist deep in Multiverse 1. It's up to 236 pages. I've still got 1 part and 5-6 short stories to add, including another Federation story I'll get around to finishing eventually... If I can get dad's laptop fixed so it's no longer a distraction!!!

      Delete
    5. There was a sneak peak? I just checked and your right! LOL! Kindle has a habit of putting up the "review" page when it thinks there is an end. So I never saw the peak. I had to manually scroll it past that part. Cool! the action on the battle cruiser from Jethro's team view! And he is now a Gunny :-D.

      Delete
    6. Something new for you to chew on in the FB group. And also wonder how he got to that rank...and what's going on afterward...

      Delete
    7. Oh yea! I posted the fact that it is there.. see how many go run and read it.

      Delete

NO SPAM! Spam will not be tolerated!

Bootstrap 5 is Publishing NOW!

 Okay, so, Bootstrap 5 has gone live. About:   Mitch Chambers and his family have been busy dealing with the alien Memes and their growing...