Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Liberty or Death Snippet 2 plus Valenko Squad

Okay, I'm humming along with Full Circle. But, I remembered to take a break for a moment to upload this.
First, Valenko's Squad, the final images.
Sorry about the picture quality, the camera in my phone isn't all that it's cracked up to be.
Each of the figures were printed when I had first started with the 3D printer. I was curious to see if something I made could be printed. I made a lot of mistakes with them. I learned a bit later, like orienting them to reduce support material, cutting back on filler, etc. I also made the mistake of trying to prime and sand them over the hot acetone method. (I used that and body filler on the 2 heavy worlders)
I admit, my paint job is a bit rough. Oh! The base is a picture frame trick I learned about on Youtube. It worked out far better than trying the magnets or other methods I'd failed at.
Hurrana broke off of Ox's back so I had to glue her back on last night. So, her pose doesn't match the original one on the cover of Jethro Goes to War. Sorry.
Yeah, Sergie's stripes leave a lot to be desired.
I added some rocks from my yard to the foam base. The base is stippled in various acrylic shades.
Overall, I think they came out pretty cool. They are now taking up a corner of my curio cabinet.

If I ever did more figurines (for instance as a business) I'd probably go with the industry standard and buy a resin printer. I just saw Angus's review (Maker Muse on Youtube) of one. It was interesting.

In other news I'm in the various stages of mourning...
For my lawn.
No, it's not that the heat is baking it. We had code enforcement Nazi's come around and tag everyone who didn't have a perfect lawn. (we don't live in an HOA!) I've tried to keep it up but it's not easy when you start with a dirt patch. I can see them tagging a few of my neighbors but I only had a few dirt patches where the sprinklers couldn't reach. Many of the neighbors had given up and had just dirt all over.
After we installed fresh sprinklers a few days ago, my landlord decided to go the cheap nasty route against our wishes and rip it all out and put crappy rock in. That's happening Monday and I'm not happy about it.

Okay, on to the snippet!:

Chapter 2



TF 3.2

 
Rear Admiral V'r'z'll noted the update from Second Fleet as well as the orders from Admiral White. Technically he had no jurisdiction in ordering her around, no matter their difference in rank. She was outside his chain of command. Not that she had any intention of bucking his orders or asking for clarification up the chain of command.
She had realized she needed to keep a low profile. Her fleet train was still making good on the damage to her remaining ships after the debacle of her first actual battle. It still rankled on several levels that they hadn't taken their objective. If they had, De Gaulte would have been broken.
Standing in place and coordinating the assault with Second Fleet made sense. She noted her staff were attentively waiting on what she had to say.
“As much as I'd like to, they are right, we can't go in right now. Not with De Gaulte going back there. We'd show up, get our licks in only for him to chase us out. Or, we'd get in, tear up what's there, and then have to chase him out.”
“Why is the latter a problem ma'am?” Commander Sunil Pizey, her chief of staff asked.
“Because, I believe Admiral White wants a knock out. He wants to break De Gaulte. So, we play it Admiral White's way. Order the prowler forward. We need the intel. If we're lucky, De Gaulte will come in and keep running, pulling everything and everyone out with him. Then we can walk in and take over,” she stated.
“And the odds of that happening ma'am?” Commander T'rll, her staff Tactical Officer asked dubiously.
“I'm not certain. We would need to check his psych profile. Given that he just faced antimatter weapons for the first time, they destroyed two of his capital ships, and he had been defeated again, he might decide to preserve what he's got and run home with his tail between his legs,” the admiral stated. “Why do humans even use that expression? It's not like they have one to begin with,” she said signaling first degree annoyance mixed with second degree amusement.
The humans on her staff chuckled softly or smiled politely.
“Never mind. Cut the orders for the prowler to jump in at a large distance. At least four AU out from the jump point. Then go dark. They can stay on station for at least a week correct?”
“Up to ten standard months actually ma'am, depending on how deep they go in,” Commander Pizey replied.
“Good. Let them know that there will be another prowler in the star system. Coordinate with Admiral White, let's see if they can work together to spook the enemy.”
“Keep them on their toes to wear them down ma'am?” Commander T'r'll asked carefully.
“Something like that. Being on a continued readiness state will wear on them and their equipment over time. I'm not certain if it is Admiral White's objective, but I'm okay with it if he is. This is his show now.”
“Aye aye ma'am.”
===<>===
Commodore Zachery Binks flicked his whiskers as he received a report from a lieutenant. He glanced at it, scrolled down and then double checked to make sure everything was in order. When he was certain there were no hidden booby traps he scrawled his signature with a fingertip at the bottom and then handed the tablet back.
“How are we with repairs?” he asked, turning to Captain Troi, his flagship captain.
“Getting there sir. The biggest issue is that our fleet train took a big hit too. We lost a lot of supplies and both of the surviving tenders are damaged as well. The mobile shipyard slip didn't get hit but she's useless for the big fish.”
“I know. Which is why the admiral let us get first dibs on her,” the Commodore replied. He felt his ebony black fur rise slightly as a sailor worked on welding a strut. He turned away to preserve his vision just in time. “I thought all the repairs were complete?” he asked.
“Oh they are. That's ongoing work and maintenance,” Commander Silverfish, Enterprise's XO stated, coming over to them. “Sir, ma'am,” he said, nodding to each.
“Commander,” the Commodore murmured.
“Number one,” the human murmured.
The calico XO's tail flicked gently, then moved as if on its own will to get out of the way of a passing work party. “They found a minor leak. But, to get at it, they have to do some major surgery.”
“Ah,” the Commodore said with a shake of his head. “Nothing serious I should hope?”
“No sir. A very annoying water leak actually. But, it's best to fix such things before they become bigger headaches,” the XO stated.
“Standard practice. Fix small problems before they become bigger ones,” the Commodore replied with a nod and ear flick. “Good work. Carry on,” he said as he left them.
Commander Silverfish turned to the captain. “Ma'am, is it true we're supposed to be sending the prowler in to Garth?”
“That's the plan,” she replied mildly.
“One question, where did it come from? It was just here when we got here?” That was the big question roiling around the fleet. More than 1 person had been a bit unnerved by the sudden appearance of the ship a week prior.
“Ah, well, I can only tell you classified. As in, I don't know.”
“Oh.”
“Keep your nose short and your butt moving Commander,” the captain said as she left him.
“Aye aye ma'am,” the XO replied.
===<>===












2 comments:

  1. Ok Chris, you have got the teaser in there to have us hanging for the release, so hurry and publish, please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol
    It's out of my hands now. I promised Carlos and Poon I'd give them until the 15th to get the manuscript back to me. :)

    ReplyDelete

NO SPAM! Spam will not be tolerated!

Bootstrap 5 is Publishing NOW!

 Okay, so, Bootstrap 5 has gone live. About:   Mitch Chambers and his family have been busy dealing with the alien Memes and their growing...