Thursday, December 22, 2016

Cornerstone snippet 3

Sitrep: Rea just (just now) got me Cornerstone back. I'm working through her final edits and adding the last bits before sending it off to Goodlifeguide.com for formatting.

Here is the latest snippet. Still in The Christmas Gift:

Out of spite she snagged his six pack of beer on her way out. She decided to pawn it for the food she'd specifically told him to get. She wouldn't be able to get a lot, but she'd find a way to stretch it. Hopefully, she'd get some decent tips to make up the difference she thought. It was that or bring some of the unused food home again. Wally the manager was getting wise to that though.
When she got to the diner, she smiled to Mrs. Kringle, the elderly matron who came by for a cup of tea and lunch every day. The woman could barely walk and should be in an assistant living home now that her husband was gone, but she was proud and stubborn.
"Mrs. Kringle," Malory murmured as she held the door open for the woman.
"Malory," the woman said with her dimples. "How many times have I told you to call me Faith?"
"Too many times to count. But the owner said we have to behave," Malory said as she saw Wally behind the counter. She looked over to him as Faith made her way to her usual booth.
"Problem?" Malory asked as she went behind the counter and got her apron off the hook.
"Yes, I'll say. Phil the owner sold the diner," he said.
She blinked at him in shock. "Are you serious?" she demanded.
"Yes. Today is our last day. They are going to bulldoze the place to make room for a parking lot for the residential unit coming in," Wally said with a shake of his head.
"You …," she stared at him. "Damn it, Wally, it's the holidays!"
"I know, and that used to mean something. I just found out it gets worse, Phil took off with the cash for orbit and didn't leave us a severance or anything. He cleaned out the accounts, and the food we've got is it. Pier and the others are gone. I'm covering … I don't know why," he said with a shake of his head.
"I'm sorry," she said squeezing his arm. Wally was a piece of work and a pain-in-the-ass boss but he had a family to support. She could respect that.
She finished doing up her apron and wondered what she was doing there when he handed her a check. "Since we're being screwed, I'm not sending him any of the money from today's sales. Frack him," he growled. "I already gave their shares of the tips to Pier and the others. Here is yours. And we're treating our regulars." He nodded to Mrs. Kringle. "We need to tell them too. I'll go get her tea," he said.
"All right," she said.
"I'm working on a sign too. Hell if I know where any of us are going to find work here," he muttered as he left.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NO SPAM! Spam will not be tolerated!

Bootstrap 5 is Publishing NOW!

 Okay, so, Bootstrap 5 has gone live. About:   Mitch Chambers and his family have been busy dealing with the alien Memes and their growing...