Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Tense and Synonyms are my kryptonite

I've finally got something to report, Gord has finished with Plague Planet and sent it to me this morning. I've corrected the mistakes he pointed out and I've sent it on to Jacob for Beta proofing. :)
I'm a bit pleased that Gord didn't find as many errors as he did in Ghost Station (there were hundreds there) but it seems has/have/had are/were and is/was are still sticking points. As are buy/by and their/there for some reason. I guess I should have (ha! I caught the 'of' before it fully slipped out! See? I am learning!) um... oh yeah, I should have taken more than 3 days to go over it before sending it off I suppose. :P

He did tweak me about my questionable sense of humor. (Yup, still got it.)

Come to think of it, I think Jacob has the short story, 'Nohar' too. lol I may have swamped him.

April 1st (April fools) I took the family out to John's Incredible pizza for lunch. I have wanted to do that for 3 years. If you haven't tried it yet, you don't know what you are missing. Think of an all you can eat pizza/Italian food buffet and an indoor carnival all in one.
Each dining room is a different theme. The log cabin dining room I selected was awesome. Everyone had a great time, even though my niece and youngest nephew blew through the arcade money I gave them in under 15 minutes. lol
My 81 year old grandmother ate more food than they did, she stuffed herself... and after we left she said next time she wants her own arcade card so she can play the games and ride the rides too! Just thinking of her playing the arcade games boggles the mind. ROFL

I'm going to have to do it May, just to hear her giggle like a kid while she plays a shooter game. lol

In other news, Mechmaster told me yesterday that he hasn't made much progress with AD (Afraid of the Dark) he's gotten midway through chapter 35 or 36. (I'm not sure which).

Thomas is up to his ears in his 6 year old son's birthday today (happy birthday squirt!) and I wish him luck. (He's going to need it!) He did report he's up to chapter 11 in PRI (Princess Rescue Inc) as soon as he gets it back to me and I make any changes he recommends I'll publish it... If I can.

My copy of Word has locked me out. Yup, 2007 bit the dust. Apparently Microsoft put in a number of installs limit in the software. I did that, I've had a lot or reformats in the past 3 years.... . If you go over the number, tough, go buy it over again. And oh, by the way the new copy is now only good for 1 year, then it too shuts off on you. And they wonder why I prefer Open Office. Grrr

Sooo, in order to publish on Amazon, I have to either borrow my sister's laptop, or bite the bullet and go buy the blasted software again. Grrr. So much for being a cheapskate!

I've been pecking at Jethro 2, First to fight. It's changing and evolving as I go, it's an interesting process to see I suppose. There are all sorts of things woven into it now, references to the main story line as well as to the short stories. I've finished the first 4 chapters and the prologue but I stalled on the first major event at the beginning of chapter 5. That will have some implications later so I have to be careful in skipping it in order to work on other scenes after it. Still it's up to 120 pages so it's getting there. You may find some Dr. Pol references in there somewhere. When I get past HOTS I'll do some research and then dive back into Jethro. :)

I am also 2/3rds finished with HOTS. Not bad. I like the primal Zerg, but I'm annoyed at all the retcons. I do like the shout outs to Broodwar this go around though. The strategy guide makes the boss battles stupid easy. lol

I want to do some 3D modeling after I beat HOTS. I'm debating on Jethro's suit or finishing my blade liger. I did model a suit for Jethro a year or so ago, but I decided it's too slim, I think he needs something bulkier for the armor. I've had something in mind for a while, now I need to make it. :)
But here is the sculpt I did. and yes, I know he's missing eyes, tongue, whiskers, helmet, and teeth. I didn't bother sculpting them, I prefer to add them in Cinema 4D.
Think of the above as his Marine issue space suit. :)

9 comments:

  1. Do you have an ETA on PP yet... soon hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thomas sent me PRI a few minutes ago. I'm going to try to get that out this month.
    Plague Planet was handed off to Beta, hopefully it will be published next month... if not sooner!

    Gee, I guess I need to finish HOTS and get back to writing! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how that is, well not the writing part. Ive been playing "dont starve" and "stardrive beta", Have really like your series, keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol
    Jacob passed me the book back fast, he read it in 1 evening. The book (Plague Planet) is now in gamma hands, or will be once I take another peek at it for notes and stuff.

    I'm at Planetfall in HOTS. Speaking of starving, I need lunch before I invade Korhal. Planetary invasion is hungry work. ;)

    Stardrive looks cool. A buddy of mine told me about it a while back. I'll have to try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just finished re-reading destiny's choice, and I have to say I can see your writing getting better with each book, still see some grammer and occasional spelling or tense errors, but the storys are great love them, please keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, and as far as your microsoft difficulties, if you get a technet subscription it is much cheaper $200 for 2 licenses for almost everything microsoft makes http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/hh442910.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Huh,
    Thanks, Icetiger.
    Not sure about the TechNet, I really just need MS Word to convert the manuscripts to the specific formats required by Amazon and Smashwords. Don't get me started on what format Google wants, I don't have a clue.
    I'm just grumbling at the price and the whole. "It's only good for 1 year thing". That ticks me off. I'm too spoiled by Open Office I guess. lol

    I wrote New Dawn, First Steps, Princess Rescue Inc, and Warren all at the same time. I didn't use quotes, I didn't break up dialog, in short it was a horrible mess. I pounded them out, sometimes 60 pages a day. Cleaning them up was a pain. Now I'm relearning all the English class stuff I had to go through in high school 20 years ago. I'm trying to apply it but there is always something I overlook or miss. lol Mechmaster thumps me all the time about my mistakes. I'm trying, and yes, I've corrected some bad habits, but I'm at the point where I don't want to loose the idea by getting bogged down niggling over the details.
    Speaking of Mechmaster, he wants a go at PRI too so the release will be delayed anyway. Definitely not this month as I had originally planned. Most likely the same for Plague Planet, which finally went to Gamma a few minutes ago. (Thanks Jacob and Brandon)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dont get me wrong, I love open source, as a matter of fact, I am writing this in chromium on linux mint. I was just trying to give you an option of most bang for your buck. if it were not for games, I would give up on windows entirely.
    As for being picky about grammar and punctuation, I was taught by my Grandma, and she was a hard task master in that subject, constantly going through the newspapers and books and showing me what they did wrong, and how to correct it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Windows: I'm lazy, I like plug and play. My intro to Linux was by a friend (who owns multiple Linux businesses) over 10 years ago. He went on about how you had to type this to boot this, then this, then this, on and on, 12 commands. When he was finished he said, "See? Now wasn't that easy?"
    And my response?
    "Yeah, but with Windows I just hit the on button."
    LMAO at his face.

    ReplyDelete

NO SPAM! Spam will not be tolerated!

Bootstrap 5 is Publishing NOW!

 Okay, so, Bootstrap 5 has gone live. About:   Mitch Chambers and his family have been busy dealing with the alien Memes and their growing...