Sunday, April 21, 2013

Zoids

Well, I can still hear, so all is sorta good.
Let me explain. My sister's in-laws went away on vacation and I was "volunteered" to clean an office while they were away. Unfortunately someone gave me the wrong disarm code, (insert cursing here) and I set the alarm off... twice. My ears rang for days, despite me sticking my finger in to wring them out. My hearing is finally returning to normal... or what passes for normal for me. (admittedly, not much, I am a certified goofball)
The disarm and arm code are almost the same freaking code. Arm works fine. Disarm doesn't. Go figure. It all comes down to the one button. What the.... GRRRRR.
The fun thing is hitting the button... and seeing it blink thoughtfully.... and me going... um... is it... bbbbbbbbeeeeeBBBBBEEEEEEEE.... Ah crap! That hesitation... ugh. They gave me a new code, (which worked yesterday, thankfully) but I had an anxiety attack yesterday using it. That brief hesitation as it thinks it over...as you hit the last button... heart hammering in my chest, hands going to my ears... and then beep, off. I thought I was going to pass out. I swear it was toying with me! lol

The good news is that they are landing in 2 hours and I am off the hook cleaning! Yeah whooo!

Writing progress report:
I'm still pecking away at Jethro 2, but not much, I've been free writing too. I've added a new wrinkle which is going to make life interesting for Jethro. The book has a shifting viewpoint, Jethro is the main protagonist in the book but you also get to see how some of the other people around him are doing and see where some of the short stories tie in. :)
I've been stuck on the wrinkle and how it effects Jethro mentally and physically. Also, how others around him react to it.
I've also been researching an event but I'm not having much luck on finding what I want. I just need a criteria framework on military preparedness exercises. (How they grade a crew, certainly it's not just how fast they get it done right?)
I've also been catching myself skipping to the climactic um... crap. Spoiler. Never mind.... Neeeever Miiind. (sing song)

PRI (Princess Rescue Inc) has been Delta proofed, but I sent it to Mechmaster for a quick peek. He came back and said to hang on, he found some errors in the prologue so he'll take a stab at it. Most of them are word choice or punctuation related, something me and the 4 guys helping me tend to overlook. Since I'm tired of the proofing complaints, (they are my fault) I'm doing something about it. So, I'm pushing back the release of the book. Sorry, I doubt it will be this month or next. The good news is Mechmaster said he'd table AD (Afraid of the Dark) in order to get it done. It will hopefully be easier than AD which I wrote with all sorts of past tense errors and the Greek Chorus haven't had a go at. Maybe I'll as Mechmaster to pass it back to me and let them have a go at it? Clean up the dumb mistakes? Hmmmmm...

Plague Planet (PP) has been passed on to Gamma proofing. I think everyone's a little disappointed in the lack of space battles. It's a soap opera. That will definitely change in Jethro 2 First to Fight and Pirate's Bane, so please be patient. There is, as I said, a method to the madness.

Let's see, what else... um, Oh, Nohar has been successfully proofed by my Greek Chorus, and I'm sitting on it now. Since both Alpha and Beta proofers have finished with PP, I passed "Special Delivery" another short story on to Gord and Jacob. Both seemed amused by it.

I've been looking into various copy editing methods, and I downloaded some text to speech writers in order to try them. I had one in Zabaware's Ultrahal. (Wait, don't go there, the site has a virus! A virus I tell you! ssss.. sorry, I tried to warn you!) I caught a nasty virus there, and then again at the Phoenix college site trying to login for my sister. That took some time to clean out, but both apparently didn't do damage.
The Text to Speech thing is cool, but I need a full version, listening to the artificial "Anne" voice and highlighting a paragraph at a time is ugh. Forget it.
There is supposed to be an extension plugin for Open Office. I downloaded it, but there is no install directions and no install EXE. I'm clueless apparently. (insert laugh track for those who know better here)

Since I need to re-install Inspire 3D to get the import function to work properly in order to import the Jethro obj file (it's is corrupted) so I can work on his new suit, (It's for the cover to First to Fight and other things) I shoved it to the back burner. Instead I tinkered with hexagonal digicam and my zoids again.

I redressed my last Blade Liger beauty shot for this scene. I wanted the Rev raptor in the foreground to be impaled. You can't really see it very well though.
Here you can see a better view of the hex digicam. I fixed it. The above shot was messed up. The props and stuff are from my library with the exception of the C4D people. (except the pilots) and the forklift belongs to um...Archangel studios.
I wanted a cherry picker and other things, but I didn't find any on the web and I'm too lazy to make them now. Maybe later. BTW the civilians are civilian contractors working for the manufacturer. I keep thinking someone lost the keys and everyone's standing around hoping they will find them soon. :D
 
The hex digicam is a dumbed down version of something I saw at CGhub. I think the character wearing it (uniform) was for a game but I'm suffering a brain fart so I'm not sure. (Pizza will do that)
 
I also want to congratulate Kam on his team's win last night. Good job twerp! Finally broke the losing streak! Hell of a way to pitch a game! You're getting there kid, keep your chin up. :)

21 comments:

  1. hmmmm,

    Here goes, in the army it is called ARTEP, which is ARmy Training and Evaluation Program, most of the evaluation part is based on the mission types being evaluated, how fast is one small part, also casualties, accomplishment of mission objectives, how well the lower ranking personnel can do when seniors are taken out of the picture, how much logistics is used, how well logistics is used, how well doctrine is followed during the mission. All this is supposed to rolled into not just a number, but a report to the unit being evaluated so they can see where they need to improve.

    On to a different subject, I finished rereading ghost station yesterday, and started with rereading Jethro, in Jethro I am seeing a lot of small hints here and there, and I like it! Your punctuation and grammar are getting better, here is one way to get through the hard spots, speak the phase or sentence out loud to yourself, if it sounds awkward, it is probably in need of some TLC. and if you want some free help on it, let me know. Here is hoping you get some more done soon, thanks for making reading eBooks very, very worthwhile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Thank you. I knew about ARTEP, though the acronym is different in Ringo's books. I was looking for the naval equivalent, but you have some good points there, I'm making a note of them. Thank you.
    Copy editing: thanks. That's why I am exploring various things including text to speech. It's a work in progress. :)I keep getting caught up in the moment, getting through the part and then forgetting to go back and take my time to polish it.
    There are currently 6 people helping me with my books. 4 of them proofed Ghost Station.
    If you'd like to help and get sneak peeks, you can e-mail me at Hechtlnjekyll at aol and you know the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom kratman's a desert called peace series has a interesting view on combat doctrine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember him from his co-writing of several Legacy of Aldenata books. I'll look into it, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. if your looking for good examples of military in science fiction, try sm stirling, the destroyermen series by tylor anderson, and of course the classic of Robert Heinleins starship troopers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When do we see Iron have a engineering wake up in the night eureka moment?

    ReplyDelete
  7. ??
    The admiral? He's been more into re-awakening things then making new things. There will be a lot of changes in Pirates Bane and First to Fight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So PP might come out this month? ahh yeah, or early next month? PRI seems interesting, whats it about?

    ReplyDelete
  9. PP will not be coming out this month, nor will PRI. Since there has been a lot of complaints in the reviews over grammar I asked Mechmaster to also take a pass at each book when everyone else is done with it. That will add quite a bit of time before they are released, sorry.
    PRI is Princess Rescue Inc. Eugene Ryans discovers a wormhole to another world and uses his tech company to contain it and form a stargate. He then leads a mixed team of civilians and soldiers through the gate. But on the other side they get more than they bargained for, a medieval society using alien animals at war!

    It's not another take on Bootstrap, more of me playing with my ideas for "What if I had a Stargate?" :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Noooo, is there any way I can read them anyways? I am not a grammer/spelling nazi.I will pay for them thru paypal or something? Please. Sadly I am seriously bored right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol
    Sorry.
    Check out Jack Campbell's series or oh, Ian Douglas is coming out with a 4rth star carrier book next week.
    I am currently re-reading Weber's Shadows of Saganami. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet about the 4th star carrier book, already caught up with all of jack campbells books. Its getting bad all the scifi books i keep up with ive pretty much caught up with, first world problems i know.
      On a side note I wish there was a system with amazon for ARC books like baen's, you can spend $15 on a book to read it early knowing that it is going to have grammer/spelling errors and that it is not the final release of the book,the price ensures that only the real fans will buy it, and you get the final version when it is finally released as well,sigh.

      Delete
  12. I've got to order the 4rth star carrier book. Same with the upcoming weber book coming out May 7th.
    Books: I know the feeling. I picked up some of the star marine books but I haven't gotten past the first 2 books. I keep delving back into Weber or Ringo.
    I know about the Baen system you are talking about. You can get a lot of that material (at least a third of the book) for free when they post it. But really, that $15 is you are paying for the privilege to help edit the book. lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. then you might want to consider ARC on amazon at your usual price and up it a dollar or so for final verson. as long as the storey makes sense, I don't mind self published work with the odd spelling mistake or grammer error. Most readers are like this. In my opinon, only when authors are charging full price books aka $5.00 + and it is riddled with them do I start questioning. It also "might" help with the editing process if your offering free final verson if a valid spelling mistake or grammer error is reported.

    ReplyDelete
  14. :)
    I'll try to look into that.
    The problem with the copy editing is the cost. I've done a lot of research. Professional's charge various rates. Some by the hour, some by the word, or page. It averages out to $3,000-9,000 per manuscript. They also want half up front. That is a lot of front end investment, with no return for months, possibly years. As a reader myself, I prefer books that I can afford. I also don't agree with charging high prices for E-books. That's highway robbery. :P

    If I gave a free version to each person who reported an error I'd be paying out of pocket before they got out of the first chapter. I would go broke.

    ReplyDelete
  15. no as with arc you will recieve normal rate, they still pay, but as a reward they get the final version free when helping with the edit and not have to buy the product again. This can be sent directly through email cutting amazon out of it. Also recieving the extra for final product might help off set the cost of editing future books

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sounds good to me, I have seen authors do something similar on amazon recently.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cyber can anyone Email you about Proof reading? i wouldn't mind doing it as i like to take notes as i read anyway

    ReplyDelete
  18. For the research you are looking for in regards to inspections and military preparedness put a call into the US Navy's Inspector Generals office and ask them for the the name of the manuals that outline what you are looking for. If that does not work you can contact the public relations department and just let them know you are a writer doing research for a book. They will be more than happy to help you get the info you are looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good ideas, I'll look into that. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

NO SPAM! Spam will not be tolerated!

Bootstrap 5 is Publishing NOW!

 Okay, so, Bootstrap 5 has gone live. About:   Mitch Chambers and his family have been busy dealing with the alien Memes and their growing...