Saturday, May 19, 2012

My current books

Plugging away on Ghost station. I just finished Chapter 5 and I'm on to Chapter 6. 6 will be slower going, I'm pretty sure we're going to be invaded this afternoon. I also don't have as much jotted out there as I did for the previous chapters.

It occured to me that I don't have a link for my books. Here it is:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/chris-hechtl?store=ebook
I have done all the cover art in 3D. Some of the props like the Trees and textures were downloaded from the web. The rest was modeled by me.

The Current books are Boostrap Colony:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/bootstrap-colony-chris-hechtl/1028104776?ean=2940011946943

Bootstrap Colony is a stand alone book. It is my first attempt at professional writing and has very poor grammar and editing. (Eventually I will go back and fix that... or so I keep telling myself.) I may do a follow up book someday.

The other three books are part of the Wandering Engineer Universe. There are currently 2 established story archs. There will be 4 eventually.
The first is the Founding of the Federation series. (I had thought of it as a trilogy but I might toss in an anthology book since I've got some short stories jotted out.)

The first book is First Steps, telling the story of Admiral Irons ancestors and how they not only explored but also settled on the Red planet.
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/first-steps-chris-hechtl/1028501336?ean=2940011839207

I wrote and released that book after I wrote New Dawn. First Steps and New Dawn also have grammar and spelling issues. (Again I'll clean them up eventually. I hate editing. I love to write and model.)

The other current story arch, the main story arch is The Wandering Engineer series. I've projected it out as about 7 books. Currently there are 2 released, 1 is being edited by my good friend Chris "Mechmaster" Smith, and 1 I'm currently writting. I have the other books and spin off books in various forms but more on that later.
New Dawn the start of the series:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/new-dawn-book-1-of-the-wandering-engineer-chris-hechtl/1028104774?ean=2940011946936
New Dawn describes how the Wandering engineer is picked up by the female crew of the good ship Io 11 and begins his Wanderings. The story started after I got into watching Vandread and sort of evolved from there. lol

The sequel to that book is Fool's Gold:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/fools-gold-chris-hechtl/1104533692?ean=2940013143395
Fool's Gold takes up where New Dawn left off. It explores Irons continuing journey and sets the stage for later books. More on them in a later post. :D

22 comments:

  1. i've read your wandering engineer series up to ghost station. i've loved all of them. i hope you keep up the series. it's a breath of fresh air. it's fun to read about rebuilding a civilization. i'm looking forward to the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what the person above said ... :) i love the series am waiting on the next book from what you said at the ending of the next book i can tell you have the next two planned out.

    also have my suspicion's on him and what is in that "hidden" station with how he has 3 ai's "one ship manager one weapons/defensive manager one engineer manager and him the human commander" i bet there is a "ship" he can plug into in that base

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your series, can't wait for more. I can't wait for more! The characters grow and change and what will happen in the side series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A question. Why did you not include SpaceX in First Steps? Would seem like a natural fit?

    Oh and Boot strap colony also had a aha thing. The Aliens said Property. Well being alien they didn't seem to care what was property. They could have gotten people to sign a contract to get to the new world then when the aliens arrive list the people as property so....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just finished Plague Planet; really though that 'Ole Blue' Bane would have been recruited to gobble up the protagonist AI.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris - I am liking your Wandering Engineer series, but please please please, quit using 20th century pop culture as a source for your characters. It is literally painful to stumble across these and it rips the reader out of the story. You don't need to resort to that practice; it's awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the single least enjoyable aspect of Plague Planet. It's okay to make slight references which make sense in context once in a while, but ripping entire sets of characters from 80's TV and shoehorning them into this setting was painful to read. It's not clever and borderlines on plagiarism. Don't do it.

      The Dukes of Hazard? Seriously?

      Delete
  7. Wandering Engineer Series great read and I see in the next installment you will introduce two new AI's Bounty and Na'toka they look like they are located on a Battleship. Can't wait.

    My expectation were high for the next book in this series but after a review of this site they have gone orbital.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed most of the wandering engineer stories but it is getting a bit long in the tooth now, the science is fairly good stretching today probability's into the future which is what science fiction is about. Please do not use today's idioms like “go figure” it sounds like a old man trying to be “in” with today's youth and failing. As these are made for I-readers I think that a professional proof reader is still needed would have got rid of a lot of clutter and repeats in the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      There is a method to the madness. As to the connection, I'd say some things stand the test of time. In a way it allows both the reader and myself to connect our time to that universe and the occasional bit of whimsy I throw in also. It's also a way of breaking things up.
      Yes, I do sometimes repeat stuff. Sometimes it is a reminder, sometimes I forget, sometimes It is necessary. I'm trying to curb it.
      AD has a lot of repeats in it, but that is intentional. as I said, a method...

      Delete
  9. Just read Pirates Bane on Nook. Not sure why but the book formatting has serious errors and would lock up the Nook reader (and Win8 reader) and not allow page changes.
    Good book though. I find the flash back language amusing in a sci-fi book, gives it character. Of course, It is always amusing to see three impossible things done before breakfast. And I want one of them replicators to play with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had that issue with Nook on Android with Pirates Bane and 13 Degrees of Separation. Yes, please check the formatting!!

      Other than that, great books, keep them coming.

      Delete
    2. Wow! You folks are going waaaaaay back here in the blog to post this. Dunno why though.
      Flashback language: I gotta have fun. Besides, like I said, some things can stand the test of time.
      Replicators: I want one too! But for now I'll settle for a Solidoodle 3D printer... which I'm going to get sometime this year. (I hope)
      Formatting: Yes, I know there is formatting issues with the Nook. They changed the rules on me, and it's no longer the same as Amazon so it's a hassle. I've tried to conform to the new rules, but I get the same results. I'm not sure how to handle it right now. I'm debating handing it off to a converter person to let me focus on writing.

      If your going to reply, please do it in the latest thread. :D I check that 2-3x a day. lol

      Delete
  10. Commenting here because this is where google sends us when we search your name. No quick link to newest post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When is book 7 about admiral john irons coming out?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just finished J5 and just thoroughly enjoyed the book. I have two thoughts on the book. At one point, the book talks about the radios being able to transmit some distance on the ground but not having enough power to get to space. It takes less than 1/4 watt to talk to the space station so, in that part, the science doesn't seem correct. The other is use of the quote "I'll see you in hell". The proper, in my experience response is "not if I see you first". The response in the book is "not if I don't see you first" which seems different but I am having trouble figuring out exactly what it is supposed to mean.
    Small, small points in an excellent book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude you buried this post! lol
      I'm glad I checked my Gmail.
      True, it doesn't take a lot of power to reach the space station. I fudged that. And yeah, I missed that response.
      Thank you for the response. Please write a review! And have fun with Convoy!

      Delete
  13. The only thing I don't like about your books is the incorrect words used, "taboo" instead of "tableau", "instillation" in place of "installation".
    Apart from those niggles, I love the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you buried this comment in an old post.
      Yeah, did I ever mention synonyms are my Kryptonite??

      Delete
  14. Are you going to finish Bootstrap Colony. I enjoyed it. Though pulling people from 80s movies and TV shoes is weird, I liked it. I do want to see more of John & Loni. You didn't bring her back during any of the remainder of the second book. Also I'd like to know what happened on Earth. Anyway, Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was driving me CRAZY and I had to stop reading Plague Planet to find someway to contact you. Was telling my husband how good they were and that he had to read them after me BUT all this bringing in Boss Hogg, gremlins and all this other stupid stuff that detracts from the story. I could have dealed with it once but ready to stop reading this series completely and I seriously liked it. Gave all the previous ones 5 stars but there is no way I can with this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You buried this on a post from 8 years ago? lol

      Yeah, I sometimes have a bit too much fun and let my odd sense of humor get away from me. Sorry about that.

      Delete

NO SPAM! Spam will not be tolerated!

Covers and AI

 Sitrep: So, I finished a fourth book and it is in the hands of the first of the Betas. If anyone of the Betas wants to input anything on th...