Thursday, October 3, 2013

Soda is evil....

Well, Hershey kisses too.
For some that know me, they know I've been trying to loose weight. I have a bit of a sweet tooth though. I have cut back on salt, eliminated chips and junk foods like cookies, cake, brownies, and other things. I read that snacking is a mixed up message, the urge to eat is really an urge to drink. I have a bad habit of wanting to snack when I am working on the PC (ie writing) or when I am watching a TV.
So, I took it upon myself to try to substitute drinking soda for snacking. I also cut down my food portions over the past 6 years.
And when that didn't work, I'd have a handful of kisses.

I... kinda sorta got out of hand. Partly it was from the heat, (100 degrees for 3 straight weeks) also working out and staying hydrated, but also just me going overboard. (been there, done that many a time) I've been drinking 2-3 liters of Pepsi daily, (yes, I did say I got out of hand didn't I?) plus sometimes 2 handfuls of kisses.

Anyway, what I thought was a routine visit turned into something else, the doctor nailed me for a glucose level of 440. He said I should be in a diabetic coma or dead. He classified me as type 2 Diabetic.

Here's the thing.
1 NO shortness of breath, NO trouble breathing.
2 NO heart trouble, no chest pain. No radiating pain in my arms.
3 NO marks on my skin, no jaundice, nothing. He checked for black marks on my neck. Surprise! Nothing. NOT A DAMN THING!
4 NO fatigue (beyond the normal from lack of sleep) Getting up at night is normal, when I feed the cat (or go look to see why the cops are next door again at 1am this week, or the shooting down the block...) I go pee and go back to bed. Dur. Why the hell not? And I'm not a log, I can't sleep through fire trucks, ambulances, and police vehicles 30 feet from my window.
5 Thirst and urination (I know, yuck, get over it) were considered normal by me. Yes I am thirsty on occasion, I drink a lot. (I sweat a lot when it gets above 75, and I need to hydrate after exercising) When you drink you pee too. (DUR!) As I said above, I'm trying to substitute snacks for drinks. It's a diet thing.
6 NO constant hunger pangs. Yes some, but that's normal when I first wake up, just before lunch, and just before dinner. Dur. That's when I eat!
7: NO vision or hearing issues. I hear and see fine. I sometimes hear too well, I can hear people talking inside next door or the neighbors playing pool in their garage at 2am down the street. NO blurred vision, NO wavering issues and I haven't had floaters in almost a year.
8 NO rapid weight loss. I am trying to loose weight. Hello! You think that my busting my ass and cutting my portions isn't going to show some weight loss? Skip bellow to find out how well that's going.

So, I have all the answers right? No. sigh, not by a long shot. No, I know I'm not the expert. I also know I'm not a number, I am a big guy (6'4") and I don't fit the categories the eggheads set up for standards based on what they consider baseline height and weight. So, I am leaving myself open to being wrong, but.... But hey, I know my body. This is me here we're talking about.

So, I am frustrated and annoyed, dismayed, depressed, disgusted, disgruntled, and somewhat in Denial. (maybe) Mostly with myself.
He put me on  500mg Metformin and ordered a crap load of blood work in 2 weeks, then another visit. (fasting! Gee great!) He wanted to admit me, but my last blood work was 2 weeks prior and hey, I am fine. Functioning normally.
The funny thing is, the Metformin causes some of the above symptoms. GRR.

I'm frustrated also because I used to have a lot more sugar in my life. (snacks above) plus I'd load my tea (Unlike Irons, I don't do coffee) and my cereal with sugar. (I used to put a third to a half a cup of sugar daily, sometimes 3-4 times a day. I dropped it to 2-4 teaspoons once or twice a day)
I've gotten to the point where I have trouble eating a piece of cake or glazed donut. It's just too much sugar so I stopped. (I also have IBS so I know when to quit)

The frustration is giving me a constant headache, (as is my sinuses) so that's fun. The ripping nausea from the damn meds is annoying and aggravating too. And no, don't tell me there is a pill for that. I'm not falling for that damn trap. I've seen it with my gram, experienced it throughout my life too. NO.

He told me to do a lot of aerobic exercise. Not happening when I have to be within 30 feet of a toilet. GRR.
I do muscle work out on my Chairgym.
Which, btw is another annoying thing. I lost only 4 pounds since I started using it in July. My last appointment was in June. (I lost 17 pounds prior to that) I use it daily, 5 days a week normally. Plus 150 push ups, 200 tummy crunches, 100 squats, and other exercises every other day. GRR. I do have nice triceps though, if I do say so myself. lol

So, no more sugar. I dumped the soda down the sink, I hid the kisses, I'm not eating the pudding I bought (thinking it'd be better than ice cream, it's not) and I even stopped putting sugar in my cereal and my tea. (and I am seriously grumpy over that) I stopped drinking tea for a day, it's not worth it so I went back but with Equal. Yuck. A year ago (before I started drinking 2-3 liters of Pepsi daily) I had a glucose level of 120. Let's see what it is in a couple of weeks.
Fingers crossed it was a blip and warning and I can go back to life without the meds.

One thing: I am NOT giving up my ice cream. No way. And no, I've tried sugar free. No thank you. Now I just need to quantify this experience enough to put it in a book. (hey maybe someone will have diabetes? a hero? Hmmm)

Okay, Rant over.

In other news: Despite that drama and other drama going on (don't ask, we'll be here all day and I need to get back into PB) I've gotten PB up to 76 pages and counting. Chapter 1 has split twice, with another split imminent. (that's normal)
I have a couple issues with chapter 1, I bought books to dig into some things only for them to be duds and little or no help there. (well, the wormhole part might still be good...) But, I'm stymied a little. So, I might go back to some sections.

I've gotten into the map again, adding more details. I am seriously considering a few ideas now. (okay, not seriously, but you know...)

Brandon said he's working on finishing Jethro 2. I think 1-2 other people have asked to have a go at it before I release it. We'll see how it goes.

Brandon and a couple of the volunteers have poked me about some niggling facts I messed up on. Like oh, the admiral's age. I'll fix that when I do another publish. I did goof a little with his family, but there was a reason for it. I've explained a bit in PB to cover it.

I haven't heard about progress with 13 Degrees or AD for a while. Not sure what's up there. Probably life. Expect road bumps, I try to. Still, they catch me off guard too.

Oh, Jim put up a page for my books.
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/chris-hechtl/
Very cool, thank you.

16 comments:

  1. Get the real Pepsi with real Sugar and not Fructose Syrup. It cost a little extra, but Costco sells it,, assuming you Really REALLY need it. As a 20 year Coke addict, Mexican coke was god send.

    Snack on beef jerky and popcorn. It's not healthy, but healthier,, yah, like safer sex. As if sex is ever safe.

    It sounds stupid, but do 5 minutes of stretching every hour, you'll feel better right away and it will actually burn calories and improve blood flow..yah, it's not really working out, but it's better then nada.

    it's all cumulative,, like nano blocks. hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris: Sorry to hear about you possible type 2 Diabeties. I have it too. I found that diet pepsi has no suger or carbs which is what make suger in your body. I found that at least meat is still good. A rib steak can help get over the hunger pains. I have trouble with reducing rice, potatos, pasta, and bread. Key groups in Carbohidrates. I also like weightlifting and abhore cardo work but need it. Try biking or swimming or rowing to get the cardio workout. Poon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the comments gentlemen.
    I can go mostly cold turkey with soda, I've done it before. I do like the idea of subbing in beef jerky. I love Teriyaki beef jerky, even though it tears my teeth up. I'll have to get some anyway.
    Cumulative: yeah...
    I am heavy into carbs. That's going to be an issue.
    I loved biking as a kid, but switched to an exercise bike here. That got me in trouble, I over developed my thigh muscles so much they pulled my knee caps out of alignment.
    I do have a pool, but I rarely use it. (twice this year)
    Thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For cardio how about either some kickboxing or jumping jacks or maybe jump rope.

    Lately I've been doing strength routines in a tabata workout, it's 20 sec of an exercise then 10 sec rest. do 8 reps and then get a one minute rest. Do that for a total of 25 mins. You can switch your exercises around too if some muscles are sore or you need to focus on certain ones. In a tabata workout everything turns into cardio cause you have lots of reps and not a ton of rest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting. I may try that for a day or two.
    Right now though I'm not doing much until I get this stomach thing under control. Why does every med cause that? Grr

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok I'll name drop but I still am hesitant. I also just know I mention another author NOT to compare but more to share a good book, I mean a baker's gotta eat right? It's Leo Frankowski. He is one of my favorite authors! Even though he passed a few years back. He wrote the "Conrad Stargard Cross-Time Engineer" series. It's the same kind of "Yanky in King Art'urs Court" style story. Very short books though,so you can read one in an afternoon.
    I also hesitate because as I have often found writers read books much different than the ones they write. This baffles me to no end!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Adam.
    I'll have to look him up. He never hit my radar.
    I read a lot of sci-fi. I started in Anne McCaffrey but gravitated to Christopher Stasheff's Warlock series (the one with Fess) And then I stumbled into authors like William H Kieth Jr. (AKA Ian Douglas) and David Weber, Ringo, Campbell and hundreds of others.
    As to the differences: Either they want to set themselves apart or escapism. I don't fit the stereotype, I do want to be a bit different, but I have similar story ideas or genre I wish to explore.
    BTW, I hit the centennial page mark with PB last night. I've finished chapters 2-5. I'm starting to get into the interesting stuff now. I'm about 20% done I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ensure you take good care of your health though, since we really want the next 10 books or so...
    I am also trying to reduce coke and chocolate intake (allowing me a bit on weekends) but no more during weekdays. Not easy...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just ten? That's it? lol So I don't have to write the other 30 books I've blocked out for various things? :D
    I'm okay, it's the ripping stomach problems that the meds are causing that bug me. I had no symptoms, I was and am fine. I think I blew the test, I had a lot of sugar 2 hours before they drew blood. The doctor claims that doesn't matter. We'll find out soon enough.
    I haven't had any soda or chocolate in a week. (I miss my chocolate) I also haven't had sugar in my cereal or tea, which is getting on my nerves.
    News: PB is coming along, I am up to 133 pages with 3 pages of notes to add. I am already through act 1 and into act 2. I will go back and add alternative perspectives later.
    Also, Jory just passed AD back to me. Good luck on the exams Jory! Anyone else want a crack at it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. 30 books :) Even better :) Keep them coming :) :)
    Am cutting down on my coke and sugar intake, and I do believe I got some light headache because of this. Withdrawal symptoms I guess. Withdrawal symptoms from coke/chocolate... Not good...
    Wonder if I dare indulging a bit on weekends, or if I do that will it easily spill over to other days......

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just curious, have you tried LYX to write your books in? What I could see, should be difficult to start using, but much easier to ensure correct output for the various targets. Of course amazon format is not supported directly :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting.
    I had never heard of LYX. I use Open Office, then convert it to WORD to follow the formatting requirements of Amazon. I'll stick to what I've got now, even though everyone wants their own format and the manuscript sometimes gets mangled in the converting process.
    Speaking of writing, I did 30 pages yesterday, PB is really trucking along and I am past the 200 (202!) mark. I am a chapter or 2 away from the beginning of act III. Which should be rich in peril, gratuitous violence, and mayhem, but is currently short. :)
    I also did my fasting blood work yesterday morning. (I'm getting tired of 4-5 hours of sleep a night) so that's over and done with. Fingers crossed that everything is normal and I can return to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to hear about the Diabetes had similar happen to me except I did pass out woke up in the hospital. Jerky is good but beware alot of the teriyaki has sugar added to make it tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Look up Michael Mosley, he's a doctor who's done some really interesting docs on exercise and losing weight - "The truth about exercise" and "eat fast live longer" there is also some stuff on reversing diabetes look up "simply raw". Put it all together - you are what you eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wont go raw. Nope, I'm a product of my generation. lol
      I'm fighting the diabetes diagnosis. It wouldn't be the first time I've been misdiagnosed. (3rd actually, the last was terminal breast cancer)
      Gram checked my blood last night. (damn that stung!) it was 95 even though I hadn't eaten all day.

      Delete

NO SPAM! Spam will not be tolerated!

Covers and AI

 Sitrep: So, I finished a fourth book and it is in the hands of the first of the Betas. If anyone of the Betas wants to input anything on th...